Thursday, March 29, 2007

Shameless Plug

There is a small handful of folks in this world whose opinion carries a high amount of weight with me and these same folks are people who I want to know what their view of me is, as it can effect who I am. I was blessed one day to meet three such individuals at my former place of employment when they stopped by to take a tour. One of the best things about my former job was that it attracted some pretty amazing and inspiring people. And it blessed me often with the chance to meet and spend time with these folks and the added benefit of keeping a friendship up with some. They were members of a band that was passing through town on a tour date, I so thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with each of them that I went to see their concert that night and to be honest it was one of the coolest things ever. Since I had had the chance to get to know their personalities before the show, watching them on stage doing what it is they do best was pretty amazing. Bonny-Kate and I both laughed that we didn't even think we watched the “main performer” at all and just focused on our new friends in the band.

Any who, on this day I was blessed to meet Mica Roberts. Now Mica is a very extraordinary individual. Her singing talent alone would make anyone stop in their tracks, but her story and her ability to make everyone in the room comfortable is something to be truly admired. She is one who after getting to know, has many qualities that I strive to one day call my own. She is determined to achieve her goals, but yet does not let her success change her in any way. The thing that stuck out most to me when meeting her for the first time, was that she could have easily dismissed BK and I but she took time out before the show to not only hang out with us but also was open enough to allow us to get to know her. The second time I saw Mica perform I watched her as she spent a lot of time with the tour assistants or crew and chatted them up as if they had been best friends all their life. Bottom line she takes time to invest in those around her, and has never considered herself to high to interact and advise even the “lowest” of people on the totem pole.

I do not get to catch up and chat with Mica as often as I would like but she is often someone I e-mail for advise in my job ventures. Or text in the middle of the night when I am excited about some boy, or stressed about some boy. Mica even offered her home to house my displaced family members after the hurricane. I never asked for places for folks to stay she just contacted me right away and told me her home was my home. She and Willie and Rex have become friends that even though I do not see them often, I am always comfortable around them and have the ability and freedom to relax and be myself because I know they love me just because I am me and for no other reason or side expectation.


So why am I writing all this well Mica’s first CD (Uncover Me) is one I listen to often on my ipod I personally think it is awesome but then again I can be bias. This morning one of her songs just hit me right where I needed to be hit and I love it when music does that, you know says what we wish we could. She on the other hand has been signed and is in the process of creating her second CD, which I know will be a success. I hope that you all take the time to check her and her music out! She has a great duet out right now with Jonathan Cain, (from Journey) Faithfully. You should listen to it and love it!! Well Mica is awesome and I am blessed to have her as a great friend!

I promise this blog will not become and ode to friends... although many of you are pretty stickin cool much cooler than I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is good to have those to inspire... she seems pretty cool, and for you to say such nice things she has to be cool, because you are pretty inspiring!