Friday, March 23, 2007

Seasons of Change

One of the great things about living in DC is it is a great place for people to come visit. And the other great thing is that no matter how far I get out of school, I will always know when the school years starts, ends, winter break begins and the covenanted Spring Break begins. And this is not because I work with the college students… No, No you can get all this information just by riding the metro.

One of the tings I used to tell people is I never wanted to become that DC snob… the people who think they are too cool for school and annoyed when people come and visit “their” city, slowing down their trek to what ever world changing meeting they are heading to. And I am glad to say that I have been pretty much successful in this, as I still love seeing kids faces the first time they see the White House and usually yell, “I thought it would be bigger!” But one thing I have become a tad snobby on is my morning commutes on the metro.

I do one of two things on the metro in the morning: sleep, or my quiet time. Both require the standard silence of the metro. Well when March begins to roll around, that silence is usually broken with the squeals of Eighth Graders filling the train. I usually don’t mind if they are well behaved and understand the rules of the train in the morning is everyone is quiet and keeps to themselves. This is more often not the case with my school-aged friends. Usually during the month of March I get caught up on all things pop culture by the loud conversations or I get caught up on all the dating drama of (insert standard American town Name) Middle School. It can be funny sometimes I will admit as was the other morning some obvious drama had just gone down on the way to the metro because one crying girl had about five other girls gathered around her stating they could “NOT BELIEVE Andrew would sit next to her on the bus!” and the “her” I was assuming was the girl across the way slyly looking at the other group of girls as she was surrounded by the boys with the assumed “Andrew’s” arm on her shoulder. Ah yes, Middle School Love drama… it’s a tough world out there lets just be honest.

You can also tell the breaking of college school schedule. As at the start of every semester a new crop of fresh faced, wide-eyed young professional interns start to crowd the metro with their maps and the girls in some of the highest heels ever! This is always soon replaced with flip-flops usually within a week or so of starting their internships… Yes you can always determine where we are in the school calendar year just by watching for the new patrons on the metro. The metro is a great place filled with lots of information.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I seem to remember wearing some very sassy, very tall new shoes when I came and saw you in DC. Wow, I had scars from those blisters for months! Idiot girl! Some friends were telling me they're about to take a trip there and I almost asked if I could tag along.