Monday, March 2, 2009

Multi-Tasking and Starbuck's

Well this weekend my dear friend from D.C. flew in to interview at the Bush School at A&M. He was going to rent a car and drive but I told him it was ridiculous for him to spend that kind of money when I could just drive him and stay the weekend in College Station… Let’s be honest does anyone ever really need a reason to visit Sweet Home College Station… I think not.

So Friday afternoon we took off around noon and headed for the Promise Land. I dropped Kyle off for the beginning of his weekend long interview conference and I headed out to meet friends of mine. I stayed with my friends Leah and Brad and their little guy Will. They were shocked to see that Will’s crying in the morning did not even stir me… I told them this was yet another reason the Lord had not called me to the motherhood… my child could be screaming bloody murder and I would just be soundly asleep in my bed dreaming of who knows what. I had some great time with them and it was just fun catching up. I also got to see my old roomie Steph and her little lady Jada. Who has to be one of the most adorable ladies I know! We had a lot of fun shopping at Target and getting all the basic necessities of life. But I will say one thing I learned from both of these ladies, was the art of multitasking. Now before this weekend I would tell you that I was one of the best multitaskers out there… I had it down and was seamless in the juggling act of putting on an event or running an office whatever the tasks that day might be… but when you see a Mom (and I have seen it before but I think back to back Mom incidents made me appreciate it more) juggle life and a one or two year old little guy or gal, you see it as a true art form. My favorite was when Steph and I were praying and the entire time she knew exactly where Jada was and how she needed to be corrected, without ever breaking her concentration on the Lord. I had to chuckle to myself as I have never seen it done before… I confessed to both Leah and Steph that part of the adjustment to life back in Texas was babies. THEY ARE EVERY WHERE! It is so different than DC where they are few and far between. Luckily I have 5 nieces and nephews or I would be ALL out of sorts! So I tip my hat to all you Mom’s out there for all the work you do! I could never do it to say the least!

I also got to hang out with some fun college gals too. I have been blessed this year to work with the current Phi Lamb officers and have loved every minute of hanging out with these ladies. They are a sweet group of gals and a lot of fun to goof off with. This weekend of the many things they taught me they taught me about the importance of a Starbuck’s name… as someone who should hold stock in the company and someone who has been successful to cut herself off the daily Venti, Extra-Hot, No Whip, Soy Mocha’s (mainly because my salary can no longer support it) you would think I would know about the Starbuck’s name. But I did not, I think the reason I did not is because my Starbuck’s ladies and gents were always SO good in DC always knowing my drink and having it ready for me as soon as they saw my car pull up every morning. Ah… I miss my ladies… But anyway, here they ask for names as you order your drink, and thus the Starbuck’s Names were created. It started with the idea they should be one syllable and easy to spell but that is no fun so they switched it up to just fun names. When it came time to decide what my name would be Courtney looked deep into my eyes and came up with Jackson. Jackson? I immediately said this would have to be a pending name until we had approval from Jackson’s mama that it was okay to carry as my Starbuck’s Name, a few confusing text messages later with Amanda and I was set to go. I am working on the nick name Jax and will let you know if/ when Courtney allows that to happen but so far she is pretty set that the Lord has shown her Jackson… so Jackson it will be.

So what is your Starbuck’s name… you may need to call Courtney in to help, its one of her spiritual gifts… discerning your Starbuck’s name… that’s biblical right?

Michelle “Jax” Jackson signing off…



Our Names Forever Written on the FreeB!rds Brick

Leah Balancing Will and Getting Ready for Church
(Me just taking pictures...So Helpful!)

Jada all dressed up and ready for Target!

Steph Balancing Lunch, and Catching up!

3 comments:

Joe, Ash, G, J, and A said...

LOVE this post. Glad you had fun with Kyle- wish we were there! I know you're thinking, if she has time to read my blog, why hasn't she called me back? Well, pretty sure we left my charger plugged in at the hospital and the phone has died a slow death. We're taking the plunge with the new charger tomorrow. :)

Amanda said...

Imagine how confused I was when Freebird's got added into the mix! I am just not in the know.

Trait said...

I do miss the Promised Land. Chicken fingers, Freebird's, and a lunchtime burger at Fitz's. Oh man, I have to get down there again soon. Hope your friend did well in his interview. The Bush School is awesome!