Friday, March 20, 2009

March Madness! AU Style


Brian going in for a lay-up


It's March Madness people! And unless you live under a rock you are aware of ALL the College Basketball going on! Now playing basketball most of my life makes me a lover of the sport... not "good" but a lover lets clarify... And I love March, I love watching these guys and gals battle it out to be the best! I wish every sport had a Championship run down with as much hype as College Basketball! But lets be honest if they did I would NEVER get any work done... just like I am not now ;)

So as you all know for the last 6 years I lived in Washington, D.C. and for the last bit over 4 years of that I worked with the college ministry at my church on American University's campus. It has been one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had in my Christian walk working with these students and I have been blessed to know many of them since their first year in college. Well one of the best ways we have been able to work to impact this campus is through the student athletes. Many on our leadership are also on leadership within their teams. We have Kira the Captain of the Lacrosse team, Cynammon the outstanding Volleyball player, Irene former captain of the Soccer team, Mike the captain and Olympic hopeful Wrestler (which by the way he is in the NCAA tourney for wrestling and knockin them out... literally! He is still undeafted this whole year!) the guys on the Basketball team have stood out amazingly from the beginning. They started a study with the other guys on the team and have poured into their team like no other. And I am constantly amazed at the heart these guys have for their campus and their sport.

So when they made it to the NCAA Tourney for the second year in a row I was ecstatic for them! I went with friends to a restaurant to watch the games... Our boys were a 14 seed up against a 3 seed... no one thought they could do it... by half time they were up by 10 points!!! And into the start of the second half they had a 14 pt lead!!! By then I had my whole table routing for them and against their brackets... it was funny as everyone else was watching the TU game and my eyes were glued to our boys. So I would yell out and clap when the rest of the place was silent and everyone would look at me like I was crazy. I wish I could say our boys pulled out an upset last night but I can't. What I can say is those guys faught the entire game and never gave up. According to the polls they should have been walked all over... and they weren't. I was sad Brian and Frank could not get a W their senior year, but still so proud of the game they played and the season they had, I only wish I could have been there with them in Philly.

Way to go guys! I am in awe of what you accomplished this year! Not only on the basketball court.

I should credit all the action shots I swiped from ESPN's website...

Frank during the Conference Title game against Holy Cross

Brian fighting hard all the way till the end

Brian and Travis working security for me at the Leadership retreat

I searched and searched but all my pics with these boys have them in their "security" pose!
Travis, Brian, Phillipe and I at the last Gathering last year

No comments: