Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Allie's Wedding

This weekend I headed down to Georgia for my friend Allie’s wedding and a mini work reunion. Allie and I worked together when I first moved up to DC, and she was a huge help to me as I adjusted to life in the big city. She showed me how to properly don my scarf or wrap, she bought me dinner when my little government salary would not, she let me crash at her house when ours was invaded with mold, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. All to say Allie was crucial to me in my time in DC and I am not totally over exaggerating but I am pretty sure I would not have been as successful or lasted as long as I did with out her friendship.

The other best thing about Allie, was she did not just do these things for me but so many others. Her house was the center of most of our entertainment, she hosted us for anything and everything under the sun. She was very intentional about hanging out with folks and connecting people. So her wedding brought everyone back together and it was another fun Allie event. I have now officially been gone from DC for a little over a month and a half, but it seems like forever! So it was a complete blast to see so many faces I was used to seeing just about everyday, when we all worked together it was some of the most fun I have ever had in a job and I do not think I could ever replace that experience with another. We were blessed to watch history take place before our eyes and every person I worked with was grateful for the position the Lord had blessed them with. We worked long hours and rarely saw daylight outside of the office, but it never seemed to bother any of us because the work was meaningful and the people were amazing. Allie and her roommate Carrie decided once to go above and beyond and “advance” my surgery for me a couple of summers ago. Basically Allie talked Carrie into letting her wrap her from elbows to shoulders with an ace bandage and made her perform a series of tasks and then sent me a report telling me how I could accomplish these after surgery. My favorite line of the e-mail was “Carrie found it hard to answer the phone, even when I threw it at her”… and the sad thing is that was not a joke people!

Well I could go on and on about each and every person I was able to spend time with this weekend and why I think they are some of the most amazing people I will ever know. But I will sum it up in this, they were my family when mine was far away. The fed me, clothed me and looked after me for many years. They were the people who helped me through some hard times and people I knew and still know I could trust with all and any of my secrets. They are giants in my life and I am so blessed the Lord brought each of them to me. It was a great weekend and I am looking forward to many more in the future.

Allie and I at the after party

Patrick, Morgan, Me, Lauren and Christina

The Whole WH Gang

Morgan, Christal, and Me

Laura, Morgan, Allie, and I at the after party

No comments: