Monday, November 3, 2008

Women's National Team and my Beijing Soccer Ball!

So this summer while I was in Beijing my two new BFF's endured the craziness that was the Olympic store to get me an Olympic Soccer ball! When they got there Ju Ju called me to make sure they got the right one, there was a red one, a silver one and a gold one... she wanted to make sure I got the perfect ball! The background noise sounded like the place was under revolt and kids were way too hopped up on sugar! But I told her which one (the gold of course because I was certain our Team would bring home the Gold!) So Cody and Ju Ju retrieved the ball for me and I was OH so happy to get it!

In September Jenn flew up to travel with me to Philly to watch the Women's Team take on Ireland in their Achieve Your Goal Tour! The Lord completely covered us that night as when we walked up to the stadium I had my Beijing Soccer ball tucked under my arm, not hidden in any way and Jenn had one as well, we presented out tickets and continued in... On the other side this Dad looked at us in shock and asked how we got our soccer balls in... I told him nothing special just walked, he told us they were making everyone bring theirs back to their car! What! We took the subway 20 minutes so that could have been BAD! I think it was our good looks... so I got a handful of signatures that night and all was good!

Then I saw the team was playing in Richmond, its a much smaller stadium and a lot more opportunities for signatures... so I grabbed my friend Lauren and we headed down for the game! A friend here is actually related to one of the players husbands so made a call and Lindsey Tarpley came and sought me out after the game! She was very gracious signing the soccer ball and helped me get other signatures and a lot of pictures! So here are some photos from the night now I have a wonderful Gold Soccer ball thanks to the hard work of Cody and Ju Ju! And now I have all but 3 of the entire Olympic Teams' Signatures on it including the alternates and coach! (The three I am missing are back in college, so maybe I will make some college tours! who knows!) Here are a bunch of pics!

My Good Friend Cody! At the Great Wall in Beijing!

His wonderful Wife Ju Ju who we realized is my long lost Twin!
(I realized we somehow did not get a pic of all three of us all trip! At least on my camera...)

Lindsey Tarpley and I

Carli Lloyd and I (She scored the winning goal of the Olympics!)
(Check out my cool Soccer ball!)

Tarps BFF Heather O'Reilly and I

Aly Wagner and I

Captain Christie Rampone and I

Heather Mitts and I (She was super jealous of my soccer ball and tried to buy it off me!, she said when they went to the store there were not any there and she was super bummed! Thanks again to Cody and Ju Ju!)

Natasha Kai and I

Angela Huchles the hometown Hero!

Lori Chups and I

Nicole Barnhart and I

Brianna Scurry and I (She was the Goal Keeper in '99 who made the awesome saves against China in the World Cup!)

Rachel B and I


3 comments:

Julianna said...

Thanks for the shout out Michelle. Beijing was great with you and the team. And yes, your description of trying to buy the ball was accurate. I wish I could have known then how valuable the ball would be and we would have:

1- Charged you a bigger service fee.
2- Bought more for you to get signed and us to keep!!!

Best,
Cody

Julianna said...

I had no idea this soccer ball would be like the "golden snitch" -- rare and in high demand! What a fantastic idea. I miss my new BFF. Come see us in Park City.

xo-Juju

Amanda said...

That is so fun! I'm trying to picture you telling that girl that you wouldn't sell her your golden soccer ball. Was it a long, "Uhhhhhhhh..."? Love you!