Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hangin Tough!

So last summer I got a frantic call from my oldest sister that she had the perfect girls weekend and I NEEDED to attend! She practically squealed on the phone when she told me the New Kids on the Block were doing a reunion tour and we HAD to all go! Now my sisters and I were all fans when we were younger, each claiming our favorite boy band member (Me = Jonathan, Rae = Joey and Missy = Jordan) but we had never been able to attend one of their concerts. This was her shot! We were going to go! So I told her I was in and let me know when and where. So we grabbed my sister-in-law one of my BFF's from High School and my Mom of course! (Because seriously if we were recreating childhood here, we could not have gone without her in the first place!) My sister got up SUPER early one Saturday morning to get us tickets to the San Antonio show, because with distance and my travel schedule it worked out the best. It was quite funny hearing from her afterwards I guess she was so nervous she did not get tickets that she actually bought tickets twice! Then she was trying to sell them and so on and so forth, it was quite the ordeal!
But alas we had our tickets, right off the floor a perfect spot I thought if you were not going to drop the serious dough for the first few rows. And began to make our weekend plans. We secured a Two floor Marriott suite to hang out in, and I secured my plane ticket to Texas. And off we went! The day started off with us all in the car heading down to San Antonio with a strict only 80's and early 90's rule on the music. Lots of laughter and singing along... but what made it even funnier is my sisters car does not have an IPod hook up so she brought her stand alone speakers and placed it on the dash board, a bit ghetto but totally worked! Once we got to San Antonio we checked into the hotel, did our hair, changed our clothes and headed off to indulge in some Mexican food! It was glorious to be home! (I do not eat enchiladas outside of the state of Texas, no one else does them right, so why waste the money!)
Off to the arena we went! The place was PACKED with 30 something women! We saw about 25 women who were doing a mini high school reunion, lots of ladies busted out their old shirts or made shirts! (I tried to convince everyone to do a puffy paint craft project but no one seemed to have the time) My sister-in-law and I decided to wait in line to get the BIG buttons with their faces on it and t-shirts! I just got a Jonathan button which I later wanted to throw to the ground after he was sporting his political shirt during the concert, but I got over it... When the concert started the place erupted in screaming! I did not know that 30 yr old women could still hit that note but oh my gosh I thought I was old because I totally had to put on ear muffs a couple of times! The guys did all their old steps, everyone sang along, even Mom! And danced too! it was all we had all hoped it would be! We were so stoked to make our first NKOTB concert!
At the end my sister decided she needed a shirt, so we had to fight the crowds to get to the front, I had to laugh because my initial thought was you should be fine getting a Large or Extra Large because the Smalls and Mediums usually sell out first... ummm then I forgot the stadium was filled with women our size and not teen size... and thus two tables later no shirts to be had! Oh how times have changed!
We drove home blasting the music and singing along, got to the hotel and chatted a bit but then crashed! Mom woke us up early at like 7 am to get breakfast and head back to Austin, I told everyone you knew we were old when no one complained and it was a Saturday morning...
It was an amazing night and short girls weekend, that I will forever treasure! Childhood dreams coming true with your amazing Family does not get much better than this ladies!
Our Group... Jenn, Rae, Missy, Mom, and Grayson

Rae, Jenn and I and the stadium full of screaming 30 yr olds! (If you look over our heads you can see the guys...they came out to the middle of the crowd to sing!)

Grayson and I sporting our Buttons and her shirt! (She still is tiny so was able to get a shirt!)


The same ol Boy Band Moves and Songs... to Melt your Heart!


Here is a little video to keep you Hangin Tough!!!


2 comments:

Becky Kiser said...

i'm SOOOO jealous. i wanted to go so bad!!!

Amanda said...

Really, super, awful jealous. But glad you had so much fun! Amen to never eating enchiladas outside of Texas. Only disappointment awaits!