Monday, June 11, 2007

27

Today I officially turn 27, this is the start of my late twenties I am told. And I am excited. My Grandmother celebrates her 27th birthday every year so I have high hopes for this year of my life. The changes in me between 26 and 27 have been immense. God has given me many joys this past year, and taken away many things as well. But in all looking back over the year I can see how God has used each step to bless me more than I could have ever asked or imagined.

I had a job last year I loved dearly and threw myself into wholly. It took up a lot of time and a lot of energy just to not turn out as I had hoped. But the friendships and relationships I built will last me a life time. As any campaign job goes you work so many hours and endure so much junk that these friendships are ones that just come naturally even if you have nothing else in common with that person but the job itself. This year I do not have a job like that, while I enjoy the folks I work with my days of long hours and intense work have passed for now, while it left a weird hole in my life the Lord has filled all this time that was once spent at the office, with college students from American University. He has blessed me with being able to watch so many of these students grow in their Christian walk, and allowed me to be a part of this growth. He has bonded me together with a group of other volunteers in a way that I can never replace. He has allowed me to see the beauty in watching one student all of the sudden get it and the pain in watching another walk away. I can not describe to you the joys that this ministry and new “job” have given to me. But when I left my old job and did not get what I thought was the perfect job to follow that. One that would have taken all my time again and while it may have been professionally rewarding, it could not have brought me the joys that my students bring me each day. I say I get tired of late night phone calls or meetings every two seconds with students but in reality people I live for that. And I love that I have the time to do so.

Last year I was surrounded by many friends and people in my life, this city and politics can do that to you. But through the last year God has pruned a lot of friendships out of my life. Many we have just grown apart, they stay busy with their jobs and I stay busy with the students, and at first I was upset by this, but now looking back I am overjoyed. While before I had many amazing friends who I will forever love. Now I have a handful of close friends who pour themselves into my life and I in turn now have the ability to pour myself into theirs. Don’t get me wrong I love people and love all my friends, but God has shown me how to focus on the few that will hold on no matter what is going on around me. I have three wonderful roommates, who will drop everything in a moments notice if I needed them. We stay up late laughing and watching TV and we argue some but all in all I could not ask for 3 better women to walk this single life in the city with. We are all different and God uses that to bless each of our lives. Nicole the baby of the group is a servant like I have never seen. She will drop whatever, whenever you need her, no matter how big or small the ask is. She is fun and crazy and we goof off a lot. Selena has lived with me four years now here in DC. We joke we are on our way to a common law marriage but the familiarity of her friendship is what I love. Selena is a mom she takes care of all of us and keeps us on track. She picks me up from the metro when I come home late so I don’t have to walk in the dark and laughs at my same jokes always. She endures my little quirks and silly jokes with ease. She is a great teacher to her students and devotes her self and service to them. Big shout out to the teachers out there. Sara, poor Sara, she has had to put up with me since the summer of 1999 when we were camp counselors together at Camp Balcones Springs. We became inseparable very early and our friendship grew over our years through college. Developing our tight knit group to 4 of us that did everything together. Sara and I the last of the singles in that group so its only natural we live together. Sara is a learner she absorbs everything she can and loves to share that knowledge. She protects our country and I am not sure if that makes me feel safer or not… Totally kidding… she is a constant source of laughter and someone I always know I can just be around and not have to do anything. She does not expect anything from me and understands that I can only be so out going and funny for so long and then I just need to be quiet and she lets me do that. We often have dinner dates to a steak house or nights out to our favorite pool hall by ourselves. She is that friend that just fits. Jodi, well she might as well be the fifth roommate. God blessed me with her six months ago but I feel I have known her my whole life. There are few people in the world that you meet and right away know you will have a great friendship with… Jodi is one of those people. She does not care about the “Christian appearance” she will get right in my face and ask me why am I still struggling with that and I do the same for her. She is not afraid to be honest about her life and struggles with me, and that is refreshing where so many try to prove what a great Christian they are. And she helps me to understand I can’t have it all together till heaven but I best be trying! She is funny and crazy and willing to pick up and do something with me in a drop of the hat. She is a great friend and accountability partner. Its rare at our age you find a friend like this where I can see her an entire day and still when I get home or she does we need to call each other and chat about the day.

Many have asked me if I am okay with still being single at 27. If I think had I stayed in Texas and not pursued my career would my life be different or better. To be honest sometimes I get a tad annoyed when people talk to me as if I have some sort of disease of singleness that may never be broken. Please no cats for my birthday… To those I say thanks for asking and caring but no worries y’all! God has things under control! He has immensely blessed my life in not just these two areas, and believe me I will be glad when Mr. Right comes along, but for right now, I am basking in all He allows me to do with my life that I am single. And all He has blessed me to be able to see and experience because I was single and to be honest I love my friends and my college students too much, not sure if there is room for a guy right now. Just kidding there will be room but do not worry over me and feel sad for me because I have an AMAZING life and the Lord has blessed me MUCH more than I could have asked or imagined. And for that I am so very thankful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With all your guys can you really call yourself single... Just Kidding! ;)