Monday, April 16, 2007

Virginia Tech

This blog will probably not make much sense and have a lot of mistakes through out but it is late and I wanted to get this up while everything was still fresh in my brain. Many of you know I work with a college ministry that reaches multiple campus' throughout Washington, DC and Northern Virginia. Our summer programs hosts many students who attend Virginia Tech and our College Pastor speaks there often and thus we have many connections to that school. Today was one of those days where God obviously brought many of us to our knees. And one thing that kept running through my mind was why a college campus? Why did so many young and up and coming lives have to be cut so short. We were waiting by the phone most of the day to hear from students we knew, or friends of my students here and it was a long day to say the least. It brought back many memories from my days at A&M with Bonfire or the month after the Hurricane hit New Orleans and we were waiting to hear from family. That sense of uselessness that you can do nothing but wait, and that is was brought us to our knees. In the absence of being able to offer physical help all we can do is pray and praise God.

I have just left a night of prayer with my students here, and it was very moving to see their hearts. To hear one of my students first prayer out of her mouth be for the family of the shooter. And it was in that moment that God showed me why this had to happen on a college campus. Because these are the people who are waiting to change the world, these are the people who can rally and gather and lift each other up. And pray for those who have hurt them. And then the thoughts of so many college students who do not know the Lord and the questions they will have and be bringing to us and our college leaders over came me. And the awesome task the Lord has for some reason entrusted onto me and my fellow college ministry workers over came me. I was broken in tears oh awe of who God is and awe of what He is about to do in this college generation. This event was monumental and it shock not only the town and college in Blacksburg but the entire nation and much of the world. It is causing these college students to stop and re-evaluate their lives. And that is where Gods healing begins. I know His word promises us that ALL things work together for HIS glory and thus I know in the midst of this tragedy He has something in store for us that is huge. And I am praying that it will come soon. And I am praying that as college students meet across this nation to mourn the lives lost today and question the lives they live that HE will be present comforting them and that He would equip those of us with the great honor and privilege to serve these students with HIS wisdom and love. So I beg of your prayers for the students HE has entrusted to us in the DC and Virginia areas. And I beg of your prayers for the students at Virginia Tech and the families who lost loved ones students and staff. And especially for the family of the gunman today. Pray for revival amongst this college generation. I know my God is big and He was not shifted off His throne today, He has a plan and I pray I get to take part in it.

No comments: