Thursday, April 26, 2007

Gathering Rap-up

Well I meant to post this one yesterday but got distracted. Tuesday night was our last “official” service for The Gathering this semester. It has been an interesting school year one I may not soon forget. We have seen tremendous growth in this ministry and our students. Let me give you a tad of background on the campus I serve for those who may not know, I work with the college ministry through McLean Bible Church and we meet on two campuses American University and George Mason. We also hold a summer ministry at McLean for returning students and the LARGE influx of interns we see in this town every summer. It’s great. I have been serving on American since the second semester it has been on campus. We started out with 3 college students and a pastor. American was voted one of the most liberal college campuses in America, and the most politically active. The student body is some where around 6,000 students and 66% of them are women. They have one of the most diverse campuses around, in every sense of the word. You can find a large group of people from every race, religion, gender or cause you want. I never felt a call to missions but often when I am sitting in the cafeteria with my students I see the mission field brought to AU.

This semester we have grown to an average of 65 students attending each service, with an average of 15 to 20 guys! (That is HUGE for us here, on our largest attended night last semester we had 86 students and only 11 guys!) We now have a team of 12 volunteers! I love it! So I could tell a lot of stories about these students and how they melt my heart or make me laugh but I will just share some pics with you of the fun we have!

No comments: