Monday, August 27, 2007

Women's World Cup!

Get excited people because the Women’s World Cup is just around the corner! I have watched the Women’s National Team long before it became popular in 1999 with the famous Brandi shirt incident. This year there were plans to attend the World cup in China with my long time soccer friend Jennifer… now she has decided to go and be an adult and buy a house and thus $ for a plane ticket, hotel and game tickets are not easy to come by… so I will watch this World Cup from the comfy of my home. It is rumored to be Kristine Lilly’s last World Cup and so I wanted to be there to see her win her maybe last… but she has got a lot of spunk in her and I am sure (really praying) we will see a lot more games from this player.

Last fall the WNT came to Richmond, VA and I was faced with my first chance to see them play in person. My Mom and my Sister were gracious enough to help out and get me a seat on the field to see the game. I purchased another ticket and my good friend Kate and I drove south to see the team. Kate was a trooper... the whole way she was calming me down as I was so excited to see them play in person and have the chance to finally meet a player I had admired since I was 14. I am sure having kate tell the story of our trip may be a bit more funny because she had to deal with me. My prayer team rallied for me and began praying even before I had the tickets and when the team first took the field who would walk right in front of me… But non other than Kristine Lilly! It was AWESOME! I totally believe God cares about even the small things in our life and He knew that I would totally die over that when most of the world may not even know if they were holding a conversation with her. Kate and I had made a sign that stated “We Love Lilly” and proudly displayed it at the end of the game praying she would walk over to our side to sign autographs… and who did she walk up to first… you guessed it non other than Me!!!! It was awesome!

Well all of this to say I hope that you will get a little World cup fever this September and cheer The Greatest Team You Never Heard Of (side note this team has not lost a game in almost two years!) on to claim yet another World Cup Title. They are currently ranked #1 and I am sure they will not disappoint! They have a blog up and going to keep you up to date on all things WNT and you can also check out Kristine Lilly’s page and her personal journal entries at the bottom of her page. I included some pics below of our adventure last year to Richmond.
Kristine Lilly and I
Kate and I showing off our Great Seats!!!

Kate, Me, and Kristine

Aly Wagner and I

Me, Kate Markgraf, and Kate

Me and Leslie Osborne

No comments: