Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Phil. 4:8

Mindy and I my Sr. Year of High School

“Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.” Hebrews 13:1

Well today is the one the only Mindy’s 31st birthday. I told her last year that once she crossed into the 30’s this would be a hard time in our friendship thus we decided 31 was official 30’s giving us one more year to hang out so since this marks the end of an almost 11 year friendship I thought an ode to her would be fitting… obviously I am kidding. But on this glorious day of her birth I thought I would give a shout out to the most influential person in my Christian walk.

Not enough people in this world are blessed with someone like Mindy to pour into them, and that I feel is a tragedy. God knew I was a “special case”… ;) and thus He sent her to me my Junior year of high school at church camp. I could go on about just the way the Lord orchestrated it, and how He knew I needed someone in my life at that moment, and how He sent me someone who would not take the PC answer of “I’m Fine” or some watered down version of what was really bothering me. That’s one of the best qualities of Mindy she does not let me just skate by what’s bothering me, or not give her the full truth of what I am struggling with. She will sit there until I let it all out and then tell me the practical things I need to do to get through it or wipe it out in my life.

But I digress… she has lived a life where she has walked strongly with the Lord all of her life, not that she does not struggle but she has a pretty amazing track record in my eyes. She is bold enough to call me out on the junk in my life, and loving enough to let me just vent about silly things in my life. She has taken more than the required hours of her life to pour into me and help develop me into the Christian I am today. As I said I have known her since I was a junior and therefore she has been putting up with my “drama” for a while. All with a smile and a beautiful heart of service. She takes my phone calls at all hours, and talks me down from any thing I see as out of control. And reminds me of the important things in life. Through all the years she has not lost sight of me and has kept me close which is something I am truly blessed through.

She has a spirit that totally trusts the Lord no questions asked, and she selflessly serves people around her like no other. Even as she raises three beautiful children, she still pours into girls in her local church. While she was sick and in the hospital during her last pregnancy she was reaching out to the women there, and the women who contacted her to pray for her, she actively sought out how she could pray for them. I daily pray I could have more of her heart of service to others. She has a passion and conviction to walk strong with the Lord no matter what the sacrifice is, and she never sees the worldly things she gives up as a sacrifice but as a blessing to not struggle with. Its that passion and acceptance that draws folks to her, and that the Lord uses to pour into so many others. I knew over 10 years ago when I saw her at church camp there was something different about that counselor. I observed her all week long and knew that if I was going to be a Christian I wanted to look like she did. While I obviously strive to look more like Jesus everyday, I truly believe He gave me an earthly example to mimic in Mindy. And as I get older and begin to mature in my faith I think I may look more and more like her and then I look and she has grown even more. And she is so humble about it, she is the perfect example of a Paul’s spiritual leadership of follow me as I follow Jesus.

I could go on and on truly and pray that every person could have a Mindy in their life. Someone who pushes them constantly to look more and more like Jesus, but at the same time are loving enough to help us up after we fall, or protect us when we are hurt. I thank my Lord every day as I remember Mindy. And today on the day of her birth I am extra thankful.

Love you Mindy and pray that this day blesses you ten-fold of the blessing you have not only been to me but so many.


Mindy and I last year in DC

1 comment:

CASEY said...

I don't know Mindy, but she sounds wonderful. Beautiful way to honor an obviously dear friend.