Monday, August 20, 2007

Their Back...

It’s my favorite time of year… really always has been all my life. It’s the return back to school. Now do not hear me wrong in this when I was in school I did not like the return to classes and home work and such… I loved seeing friends I had not seen all summer. I am a hugger and I love that first hug when you see someone you have not seen in a while. (aside note this is why I love flying so much… because there is that great feeling when you come through the door and the person you came to visit is there waiting for a big hug.) I love reunions. Thus I love the start of the school year.

This Friday marked the first day students were allowed to move back into the dorms, and they kept coming all weekend long. I was able to see so many faces I loved and had missed all summer. And I loved the fact that this year we are starting The Gathering with a new vision. One that turns everything over to the students to run. We as volunteers will just be mentoring and discipling them in their walks with the Lord and their own path to spiritual leadership. So this weekend I was able to watch them take their first steps in doing it all their own, as they served their fellow classmates in helping them move in. I took a few pictures and took the girls out to lunch, but other than that it was all them.

I am excited for the semester ahead of us, and the hearts of service and the passion for the Lord that is rising up in this generation of students. And this group on American University’s campus. Pray for us as we embark in bringing the name of Jesus to this campus and this city. I can not tell express in words what it is like to watch these students serve their campus and each other. It is a humbling position the Lord has allowed me to stand in and be a part of. And I am so excited about what He has in store for us this fall semester! Praise the Lord for His provisions!

Early Mornin Move-In Crew

Candace Helping Out

Travis and Brian flirting with cheerleaders instead of movin... ;)

Everyone Attacking One Car

Julie, Sarah, Cinnamon, and Candace at Church

Me and Some of the Girls at Church!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I hear you! Summers are bleak when you're in college ministry. All our students came back to church yesterday and it was so fun!

The Schmidt Family said...

What an amazing ministry! we'll be praying for you guys!