Friday, May 25, 2007

Strong Holds!


Well it’s a proven fact the Lord will take any strong hold out of your life when He sees it… Case and Point…

When I was younger I used to LOVE yellow cake and white icing, it was all I wanted for my birthday cakes! As I have grown older in the last few years I have grown to love CHOCOLATE cake. Now I mean chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I blame my roommates as several years ago we instituted “Break-Up Cake” this was the cake to be eaten when someone broke up with someone else, or a boy wronged us in some way or another. (Side Note: If you want your own break-up cake, go to your local Chicken-Out and ask for a piece of their Towering Chocolate Cake. Its as big as you head! With four of us we barely finish it. Funny story – man this side note is long – but a couple of years ago Sara and I were at the Rehearsal Dinner for one of our best friends from college, we were seated at different tables and as soon as I saw the cake coming out I was so over come with chocolate joy that I said in a classic Michelle voice “Sara its break-up cake” realizing what I had just done at a dinner to mark the happy times of my best friend I was mortified… but still excited about the cake!) I digress....

So there is a wonderful bakery here in DC called Reeves, it is close to my former place of business and was the site of ALL of our bakery needs. Now if you have ever had DC’s Cake Love cup cakes or NYC’c Magnolia Bakery cupcake, I mean they are good but they are like $4 a cup cake! Reeves just as good if not better and only $1.35! WHAT! They also have a restaurant down stairs that is Southern-Comfort Food. So you see why I love this place so… But since changing jobs I don’t go or enjoy their treats as often as I would like, and last night I had to drop some things at my former place of employment and thought oh it’s a Reeves night! So I swang by to get me a cup cake. You guessed it a Chocolate-chocolate cupcake… when I walked in I was over-joyed with Gods blessing on saving one just for me! I asked that it be wrapped up and then thought I would bring some to my bible study girls as an evening treat. (Of course I would eat the chocolate-chocolate before study as not to have to share… I know)
As they were taping down my box-o-cupcakes and ringing me up a young lady came in looking very distraught, she looked all through the case and then asked sadly is there no more chocolate-chocolate left? I started to look away not to make eye contact with the young woman, and the Reeves workers ever the professionals did not mention that inside my box was the last one. I happen to look over at there after she received the news there were no more, and she looked she might cry, I assumed this had to be a boy problem and my heart was saying give her your cupcake, while my head was saying stay quiet you're almost in the clear! You may not get one for a while! Alas the Lords tugging at my heart won and I said I had the last one in my box and she could have it. She put up the one polite "no its okay" and I reluctantly told her no she could have it, she jumped and said "great thanks!" The ladies behind the counter looked at me in shock and awe of what I had done because one minute earlier we were dancing with delight on how ecstatic I was to get the last one of my favorite cupcakes. So the women placed a vanilla cake chocolate icing one in my box and rang me up. It took everything for me not to tackle her and take it back on the way out. I would love to say I feel so good about what I have done, but lets be honest, I really wanted that cupcake! Hopefully she feels better and maybe I will make the cross-town trek to get one tonight…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Reeves! Oh I miss it so!

Miss Mommy said...

Michelle- I feel like a proud mama...seriously, tho, who charges someone for the wrong cupcake afte rsuch a sacrifice! I would buouycott that place if I were closer than a million miles away!

MMm&m said...

I am beyond proud of you - you are my hero, Michelle! Miss you and love you, sister!!
Martha

J. said...

you are my role model