Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Life Changes and Rest

Well the last time I checked in I was sitting by the pool in Mexico drowning my sorrows in the sun, food and great company… and maybe a margarita… But that’s beside the point… After my job ended in DC, I took a short vacation with a friend to forget about the fact that the lives we had known and loved for the last over 6 years + really were now over. In a blink of an eye, we went from important to unemployed. So we left to be in denial and sleep a little too!

So once I got back from Mexico, I packed my car (after a HUGE ordeal of getting it fixed which led me to walking over 7 miles to my car because everyone I knew had jobs and I did not and thought I would save myself the $30 or so in a cab fee…) My Step-Dad drove up to DC (talk about awesome) And we packed his trailer and started the two day drive to Texas. It was good, I got some solid time alone in my car where the Lord help to prepare me for the major life change that was coming. I decided to play through my entire “Purchased” play list off my ipod… which got me to Waco!

We made great time on the first day so I asked if we could stop in Nashville for dinner, since I had never been to Nashville I thought it would be fun… So I sent a text to a few of my friends who spend a lot of time there to get a good recommended local place to eat. My friend Mica who I’ve told you about texted back and said she knew the best place for dinner… Her House! She said they just got back in town that afternoon and would love to see me, so I told her only on the condition she did not cook for us and I would pick something up. So I grabbed some Bar-B-Q and we headed over to her place. We ended up sitting at that table and talking and laughing for a good 2 and a half hours. It was such a blessing to get to catch up, Mica was mad we were not staying with her, but I had already booked a hotel room about and hour from there so we continued on. The next morning I thought we should leave early so we could stop in Memphis and go to Graceland… weird but I got shot down! So we made the long drive back to Round Rock and got home around 9:30 pm.

So I have been home now for a couple of weeks and to say its been an adjustment would be an understatement. It’s a major change in life, and pace and all that jazz. While I am super excited to be home, and time with my family whenever I want it practically is such a blessing. It takes a lot to unwind you from the daily life of DC. To start I no longer get up at 4:30 am… now my alarm goes off at 7 am and I get to hit snooze once… I also no longer wear suits to the office, I am in jeans and a relax button down shirt as we speak. I no longer get off work anywhere between 7 pm and 9 pm (or later), I am usually done by 5 pm or earlier. Rather than getting home between 10:30 pm and later, I make it home most nights anywhere between 5:30 pm and 7 pm (if I had dinner with a friend) and I am in bed by 10 pm or 11 pm. It sounds good on paper, but it actually has been a tough adjustment… But I know the Lord has something for me here, even if it is to teach me how to rest… so I will do that I will rest and figure things out. The job I am working now is a contract position so I am looking for my next move, I am praying the Lord will show me what it is and what I am to chase down soon, so this Lost Texan is home for now, but we will see what is on the horizon next…

No comments: