Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Keep Austin Weird!

Well I have now officially been home 3 weeks today… and while I do miss DC and some of the benefits of life there I am learning to appreciate the slower pace of things, and enjoy myself here in Austin. Here are some highlights…

- As I said I get to wear jeans in the office everyday… so naturally that meant I needed new work clothes and since work clothes were now jeans I got to buy new jeans… this is my favorite thing to shop for next to athletic equipment! LOVE IT!

- Also while I may still have to sit in traffic driving into the office, it’s a whole new experience then in DC… now if I put my blinker on 9.5 times out of 10 the person in the other lane will slow down or stop so I can get in! WHAT! REALLY! I can come in just because I signaled! I am so confused!??

- And I love that when you let someone in you get the standard Texas Wave saying thank you! I’m sorry what! You are waving to me just because I did what I should be doing… Weird!

- Its stinkin 70 degrees outside on its way to 80! WHAT! Its still February! WHOOP!

- Because of the point above, I now get to run outside… this is another one of those favorite things of mine, and not only outside but my new office is just a few minutes from town lake! So I get to run around Town Lake!!! NICE!

- Well while runnin around Town Lake is fun… I will say I have to adjust to Texas bugs again… not that DC did not have bugs, but there are nats everywhere! I swear half my dinner at night is those stinkin nats I inhale while running. YUCK!

- And while we are on the subject of running, I now have my old racquetball buddy back. An old high school teammate who may be a better athlete than I am hands down but with the training Zain, Ben and Alex gave me in DC, I now give her a run for her money on the court! While she may be up on me at this moment in games won, 5 am Wednesday morning will change her fate, see I am used to getting up that early! HA!

- You may be wondering all this running and racquetball… well Michelle has gained a few too many pounds since surgery a couple of summers ago… going from 30 or so miles a week to NONE for a year was very painful on my tummy and then we had the sad news strike in November and I turned to chips and salsa and all the sorts to cope… Not so good… So anyway! I am on a losing weight kick! And in a week and a day I have lost 3.5 lbs!!! WHOOP! Now I know you are thinking Michelle some of that is water weight, and I know, but its weight non the less and I do not discriminate in my pounds, and neither should you! NICE!

- And loosing weight in Texas is HARD!!!!!!!!! Losing weight in DC, not that hard because there is not AMAZING Mexican food or Southern food on every corner! OH my weakness! Seriously people losing weight in Texas should be listed as cruel and unusual punishment… why when I have been deprived of so much good food for so long, can I now have it right in front of me and I can’t take a bite! I feel like Eve in the garden! (And FYI after this experience I don’t judge her anymore) WHY!

- Well the other day driving back to my office I saw Leslie on a bicycle… it was enough to not make me want to eat for the rest of the day… so thanks for serving Leslie! AH!

- My home church! Oh how I love my home church! Its so good to be able to go any Sunday I want and be surrounded by people I have known forever and who know me. I love sitting under our Pastor Mark’s teaching and having good ol Allen around. PTL!

- And last but not least the friends! I love being able to see so many of your faces in person when we talk now… And we are not even on Skype! I love the hugs and signs of affection people give and no one is weirded out by them. I love being able to just decide I want to see someone and then be in driving distance to go and do it… Its awesome! LOVE Y'ALL!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

So do you think Austin is a little weirder or a little more normal now that you're home?

Kelly said...

Michelle - I need your help! I hate shopping for jeans! My favorite pair just sprung a hole in the knee!! No!! When are you coming to Houston for a visit? It is my turn to treat you! - Kelly

The Allens said...

Yeah and when are you coming to Beaumont for a visit!!!